Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 3: GAINS!!!

Week 2 went well.  Had a productive brick workout (where you follow up your bike with an immediate run) on Saturday.  The week consisted of 97 miles biking, 20 miles running, and 4.2 swimming.  My freestyle form continues to get better.  I contribute this to the catch-up drill, and the one-arm stroke drill--this drill is similar to the catch-up drill...instead of cycling through with both arms you focus on the stroke of one arm for 1 or 2 lengths of the pool.

Today we had a 1 hour bike ride.  I was able to notice improvement in my cadence at a particular gear today, which is a real improvement from where I was during week one.  The power in my stroke continues to become more efficient I hope this doesn't stop.  Biking is probably the most significant leg in triathlons, so if I can become a good cyclist that will help tremendously come November 13th.

Additionally, I began to run with Newton's this week.  They are a shoe company based out of Boulder, Colorado.  They help runners get away from landing on their heel, which can cause injuries to your IT band, knees, hips, back, etc.  I definitely recommend these shoes for anyone that is already a mid-foot/fore-foot runner.  I have always landed on my midsole (except when exhausted) so the switch to Newtons has been rather easy for me.  Furthermore, Newton's have a action/reaction technology that you can actually notice when you run, which helps your speed.  Thus far, every run I have completed in my Newton's has been faster than my typical times with "normal" running shoes.

Tomorrow, three of us are heading out for a 50-56 mile bike ride early in the morning!  I will definitely let you know how it goes.  Pray for no blown tires!  Other than that the training has been going well.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask!!!  Remember a moment of pain is worth a lifetime of GLORY!

GOD BLESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment