Monday, January 10, 2011

Disney Marathon

With finals and other obligations I became too busy to blog often about my running, so I apologize.

Marathon Weekend was a fun time, however, "fun" can't truly define the experience.  Completion of my first marathon was a exhilarating experience...one that will last forever.  The mental challenge that was connected to the body was an incredible feeling and to have my wife, family members, and a special friend share that moment with me made it that much better.  If you are reading this and you have the slightest hint or intuition that you could physically run a marathon then do it.  It will be an incredible experience that you will always hold on to.

As for the race and the connection to my training everything went well.  It actually couldn't have gone any better.  I ran a 3 hour and 29 minute marathon, and my goal was a 3:30.  I believe I was able to run where I wanted, because my legs were fresh.  My tapering weeks (last two weeks) went really well.  I was injury free decreased my mileage, but still kept my interval and tempo training to make sure my fast twitch muscles received a workout. 

I already am excited to get back to the cardio training.  I will rest for a couple of days, but then get back at it.  I am planning on competing in an Olympic Triathlon.  This will help me focus on speed with my running, so when I get back into marathon training in the summer my tempo and interval training will be more effective than it is now.  If you do read this blog I hope you find a way for it to inspire your workouts, or help you get to the point where you can run!  It has benefited me greatly.  My grades were the best they have been in law school, I'm eating healthier than I was before, and I'm more disciplined in my spiritual life, which is the most important thing...so if your experience becomes close to mine you can't lose!

1 comment:

  1. Great work man. It is an inspiration to see you progress so fast. Great point about the spiritual life too. Thats what its all about, "For the greater glory of God!" AMDG.

    ReplyDelete